As an adult, I rarely get excited about anything. I've learned that nothing is real until it actually happens. Plans change, people change their minds, the weather changes, nothing is truly gonna happen until it actually happens. So I don't get excited, because I'll be disappointed when it doesn't go the way I envisioned it.
I think this came into mind because of Easter yesterday. I used to always get excited around the holidays as a kid. ALWAYS. I don't remember ever being let down. But it's harder as a parent, trying to live up to your children's expectations. You don't want to let them down. You want to give them everything (mostly) that they want and need.
While typing this, I'm trying to thinks of things that I've been excited about that have actually lived up to my expectations. Unfortunately, it's easier to think of the things that haven't.... being off on a weekday to go to the lake or the pool, only to have it rain. Spending the weekend with just my girls, only for them to not be in the mood to do anything, or to make plans with someone else. Looking forward to seeing a movie, only to have it be terrible. Madison cheering on Varsity, but then falling and breaking her arm. Emma-Leigh's cheer team being good enough to get to compete, only to have one girl get hurt and there are no alternates. Damion going to Switzerland, only for me to decide I'd rather stay at home than do anything with my friends. Not huge things, but you get the idea. I don't get excited about much anymore. Too many factors to screw it up and too many people with raging hormones and strong opinions that could get in the way.
One thing I am excited about? Hootie in Charleston in August. It'll be our 6th year. THAT never fails to disappoint.
And dinner at mom and dad's never fails me. And sleeping in my own bed is always good. And hanging out with family, even if it is just over a meal, makes me happy.
Life doesn't always turn out the way you expect. And if it did, you'd never learn anything.
I don't like this pessimism. And you forgot NKOTB!!
ReplyDeleteOh shoot! How could I forget that?!? Last time was one of my MOST favorite days EVER....how can you top that?
DeleteI'm not sure it can be topped...
Delete