The Brookshire's

The Brookshire's

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tonsil and adnoidectomy

One week ago today Emma-Leigh had her tonsils and adnoids taken out. She is still recovering. Here are a few pictures...

Here she is waiting in the lobby - yes, she wore her robe, pj's and slippers to her surgery. Since we had to be there at 6:45am I figured - why not? She's gonna change when they get her back there anyway...

She said she looked like a freak - I thought she looked cute!

The nurses at the surgery center were EXCELLENT! They were SO good with Emma-Leigh and made it a great experience for her. Here she is with a puppet they gave her, she named it Daffodil - lamb on one side, lion on the other. In like a lion - out like a lamb? haha.
So of course we both had to get in a little time with her before they rolled her in...


Damion and I both stood there and watched them wheel her into the operating room. I was on the verge of tears - I am quite certain Damion was too. Vickie and Donald came to see her right before her surgery. She liked that! It lasted for about 45 minutes and Dr. Melvin came out into the lobby to tell us it had gone great - that her tonsils were very large, her adnoids medium and that she had a whole bunch of snot in there that he cleaned out. Nice, huh? haha. He was great and EL really likes him! Since Emma-Leigh is so little they decided that instead of just numbing her up and sticking her for an IV, they would put her to sleep first with the mask and then insert her IV. Great plan. So after surgery she went into the wake up room, then to recovery which is where we were reunited.
The nurses said she was their patient of the day! She hadn't cried at all (Dr. Melvin said she would probably be crying when we got to her). Poor thing looked bad though. They served her a slushy and Sprite!


The princess was given the option of being carried to the car by her daddy, riding in a wagon or being wheeled out in a wheelchair. She chose the wheelchair. haha. Damion and I stayed home with her for the rest of the day. Sarah, Riley & Reagan came over to visit and she really enjoyed that. They came again the next day (I stayed home with her again) as did mom and dad, Cindy & Brody. We had a pretty layed back weekend until Saturday night when she decided she wanted a triple chocolate meltdown. Applebees here we come!

so she didn't eat very much but she did manage to get down one cheese stick so a little progress was made. Sunday she woke up with her ears hurting. Dr. Melvin said this would happen, the radiated pain is normal I just hate to see her in (even more) pain. So she hasn't gone back to school yet. Monday school was cancelled because of snow ?? (which we didn't have) so she was able to stay home while mom came to our house to hang out. She has been at Sarah's since Tuesday and will be there again tomorrow. I'm so thankful to have Sarah to turn to in times like these. Can't wait to repay her when Riley and Reagan are older :)

Madison will have school on Saturday this week. Lovely snow (lack of) is the cause of that. Abigail's 6th birthday party is tomorrow night at Chuck E Cheese and that is all we have planned for the weekend!

4 comments:

  1. EL will be 100% is no time! I so wish I had all that done at her age. Now I will likely never have it done, you know we don't heal nearly as well the older we get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had it done when I was five and it sounds like she's doing a lot better than I did recovery-wise. Glad to hear she's on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flashbacks! The ear pain is the worst...hopefully she's over the worst of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a brave girl!! Dr. Melvin took out Emily's tonsils and adenoids as well. He has such a great bedside manner. Glad she is almost through it!!

    ReplyDelete