The Brookshire's

The Brookshire's

Monday, February 14, 2011

ugh...Valentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day and while it is a very significant day for me, I also don't get too excited about it. Why is it significant? This may be too much information for you but Madison was actually conceived on Valentine's Day - you see, before Damion became a workaholic and owned his own business, we actually had a lot of fun together. He had the perfect night planned that day. It was February 14, 1997. All I knew was that I needed to pack a bag for the night. When he picked me up - he had my favorite song at the time playing - Patience, by Guns & Roses. We had dinner at The Peddler in Asheville (it has since closed) and then went to the RV & Boat show at The Civic Center. haha. I didn't care. It was actually kind of fun. Then he drove us to the Holiday Inn on Airport Rd (it is called something else now...not sure what). He had already checked in, went up to the room and left my favorite candies, bubble bath, a Piglet (my favorite) stuffed animal and a small wrapped box - which turned out to be a pair of diamond earrings. Everything about that night was perfect. I had never had someone plan so much for me. Another reason this day is so special is because it is the day - 11 years ago - that he proposed to me. We went to dinner at TGIFriday's - Madison had the opportunity to stay with my mom and dad but she didn't want to. She wanted to be with us. So we had dinner and when we finished eating, he brought out the ring and asked me to marry him. I was shocked. He had always said he would propose when I least expected it. Of course, I expected him to propose on Valentine's Day - so I just knew it wouldn't happen. What was so sweet, is he had bought Madison a ring too and asked her to marry him. She said no and kinda tossed it back at him. haha. So maybe the place we chose to eat wasn't that great and if I remember correctly, the service was absolutely horrible but our little family of 3 was together and now that we were on the track to making it official - it was just perfect. However today, I'm just not that into it. I have always told Damion NOT to buy me flowers for Valentine's Day. In fact, I told him if he ever bought me flowers on V-Day I would be really upset because the price increases for just that one day and then the flowers die - like the next day. He used to send me flowers ALL.THE.TIME before and while I was pregnant with Madison. My gosh the people at the flower shop right down the road from where I worked knew me by name, it happened so much. But stuff like that doesn't happen anymore. He doesn't need to buy me flowers to show how much he loves me. They'll die anyway! But this morning, he forgot to say Happy Valentine's Day and when I sent him a text, he didn't respond right away...but then he called - and didn't say anything about Happy Valentine's Day, I love you - nothing. Just another example of how things change as you get older. Life just gets in the way! I still love him though. How could I not?

3 comments:

  1. you just brought a little tear to my eye...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brought a tear to my eyes too! You may be surprised this evening so don't worry too much about it. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete