The Brookshire's

The Brookshire's

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Time to reflect

So yesterday I had the munchies. And today, they continue. Yes, I started a sentence with And. And I can do that now - because I'm 33. My car took me to McDonald's this morning where the voice inside of me ordered a large caramel frappe (without whipped cream) and a southern fried chicken biscuit (which is better, in my opinion, than a chick-fil-a biscuit if you can imagine that). $6.02. Who spends $6.02 on breakfast? Um, I did. So I'm at the first window where I am waiting to hand the lady my money and I am thinking - oh wow. Another day like yesterday, huh? You just can't stop. Or rather, you did stop. Why didn't you just keep going to work? You are going to be as big as a house! The lady gives me back my change and I pull up to the 2nd window where I am eagerly waiting for my caramel frappe (oh so good). The window opens and the lady says - "Good Morning, Beautiful!" oh now that just did the trick! Nevermind being as big as a house - she thinks I'm beautiful! Whew. . .my guilt just went right out the window! The reason for my $6.02 breakfast is that today I am skipping lunch (although I did bring bread and peanut butter for some peanut butter toast later). I have a conference with Emma-Leigh's teacher at 3:30pm which means I will pick Madison up from cheerleading practice at 5pm and will skip the gym again. I haven't been since Thursday! Then tomorrow Madison has a game so I won't be going to the gym tomorrow either and then what's the point of going one day in a week? Because you all know I don't go on Fridays either. Oh well. It will be nice to be home early for a change.

Emma-Leigh finished her literature extension project last night. It was 9:30pm before she finally finished but the good thing is it is done! It isn't actually due until tomorrow but she turned it in today anyway. Crazy how different my two girls are. If Madison had been given the assignment she would have finished it within 2 days. EL on the other hand, waits until 4 days before it's due and starts to work on it. They are different, that is for sure!

Doesn't she look excited? She was so tired. I felt bad for making her stay up to finish it!

So the reason for my title today is this - I've recently been (as one person calls it) "distant". I received a phone call yesterday afternoon from someone wanting to know what has happened to our friendship. I tried to explain that not one particular thing has actually happened but that I am the one who is distancing myself. I don't even really feel like "distance" is the right word to use but as we all have experienced, it is hard as you get older to keep friends. I don't say that in a bad way but I am not the nurturing type. I don't feel like I give, give, give. I'm more of a taker, haha. No, seriously. I don't call my friends every day - just because we don't hang out doesn't mean we aren't friends. I'm busy enough with my 2 kids to have to worry about making someone feel wanted/needed. Most of my "friends" get that and aren't offended if we don't talk as often. I also tried to point out the fact that our daughters are friends and even they have begun to hang out with other girls. So it is harder for me to hang out with her if our daughters are around because then I feel like I am forcing them to hang out. And we have never had to force them to hang out, so it isn't really like that but it could get to that. It seems that they were just ALWAYS together in the past but now they aren't. And are we only friends because of our girls? That was also one of her questions. Not likely. We do have fun together when we hang out but I will admit I haven't initiated contact here lately. But not intentionally! Mainly because my weeks are crammed pack - everyone's is - so on the weekends I want to chill out at home - do the things that need to be done, clean - I don't like to go go go ALL the time. I am as spontaneous as it gets, don't get me wrong but when I don't have anywhere to be on the weekends - I may not take a shower until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Anyway, I think I may have blogged about this before but I am a friendly person. I want/need to have as many friends as I can get but the truth is, I don't want to be with someone all the time. I like my quiet time. I am not trying to hurt anyone. I would never think to myself - let me see how mad I can make so and so today. Truthfully. And (because I can start a sentence with it if I want to) I am only blogging today in order to feel better and to understand more about myself. Not to stir up gossip. This blog is for me :)

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it is OK to take time out for you. Not hanging out all the time will be a little different but with real friends when you do so one another and hang out, things pick up right where they left off. Friends understand. Everyone gets busy and everyone needs some down time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok you could've broken that paragraph up a bit to make it easier to read...And starting your sentence with AND is cool with me. You need to be more considerate of your readers tho...haha. jk.

    So id like to know more about the kids not hanging out anymorew...perhaps its because that friend is all drama and the kids are over it? Its better to have a handful of good friends that you can pick up where you left off months in between or even years than someone that freaks out and questions your friendship when you haven't hung out for a few days.

    My typing sucks on this tiny phone...but I'm 30 so it ok.

    I love you and I'm really enjoying how we are growing together. We are so much more alike inside than I ever knew. Screw people...I'm so sick of being nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remind our given person that a friendship is also give and take. Does she call to see whats up, it seems that she only calls to point out negative things??? Do what is right for you, we still love you. Go get your CD that will brighten your day :)

    ReplyDelete