"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." Marilyn Monroe
The Brookshire's
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
When can I kiss?
Just when I thought Madison didn't want to talk to me, she hits me with this question. I guess the Madison song of the day is appropriate. I haven't answered her question yet. So much for mother-daughter talk...here's how the night went. I went to the gym right after work. Left the gym, went to pick EL up from Vickie and Donald's. She had already eaten dinner so that was good. I ran by the grocery store for about 5 needed items. Left with a buggy full. Got home, put it all away and EL and I hopped in the shower. At this point it is about 7:45pm. Madison has to be picked up from school at 8:30pm so I am rushing around like a mad woman. So we're in the shower and Emma-Leigh wants me to count while she holds her breath "under" water in the shower - which is really her letting the water beat her in the face while she holds her breath. Remember, I am in a hurry and just want to get this shower over with so we can run and get Madison. EL doesn't know how to hurry. Her favorite word is wait. So I take a deep breath, count to 114 while she holds her breath. Not in seconds, mind you but really (really) fast counting. The shower is over, we are in our pj's and headed out the door to pick Madison up. We arrive at the school, all the while EL is reading me a book. She wants to know what I think the book will be about, based on the cover and the pictures. Ugh! I don't know! Just read the book! is what I'm really thinking. Then the guilt sets in again and I apologize to her. She's just a kid, right? I need to enjoy all this. But I'm in a hurry and don't really have time to even think about her book. So anyway, Madison gets in the car and proceeds to tell me that she "accidentally" broke her phone. She has an env touch and the screen is totally messed up. The glass isn't broken but something on the inside is shattered because you can't see anything. That means no texting! So she wants to know if she has insurance on it, blah blah. I don't know the answer to that question, Damion will have to help her with her phone. So that's cleared up. Then she says...."I have a question for you." In her all serious voice that actually kinda scared me. I say "ok, what is it?" She says, "it's just a question." I'm on edge now..I just want to hear what she has to say. So she says..."when can I kiss?" I'm kinda dumbfounded, in shock, repeating the question..."when can you kiss? uh, I don't know. Do you have a new boyfriend?" She says no, she just wants to know when she can kiss. She wants to know when I first kissed...uh, my wheels are turning now because I can't even think fast enough. "Uh, I don't really know Madison. Are we talking a pop kiss or a toungue-down-your-throat kiss?" Her nose gets all wrinkled up and she says..."Ew, no. Just a regular pop kiss. How old were you, mom? Did you ask your mom if you could kiss?" I'm thinking...uh oh. I have been talking about wanting her to talk to me and she finally does and now I don't want to talk!! Then, I'm saved by the bell! My phone rings and it is Tiff. She is having just the best night (not really) with the girls home by herself while Todd is at soccer. So I throw the question at her. Oh how I do not want to think about another person's lips on my daughter's lips. Yuck. That's my baby!! So Tiff and I both know that 6th, 7th grade is about the time we were kissing. We also don't want that for her. It's all down hill from there, right? So I hang up with Tiff and Madison says..."You still haven't answered my question." UGH!!Really?!? So I try, I really did try. I said, "well, boys are kinda gross and germy so make sure he's clean, okay? And don't kiss him just because he's pressuring you to or whatever, ok?" and she's like "When, mom?" and I just shout "I don't know!" and I make this pouty sound like...I don't want to have this conversation. So I tell her we'll talk more later. I need time to think about this!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tell her when she's 16 and only if she has straight As and he definitely has to be clean!
ReplyDelete16??? i was thinking 36...hehe!!!
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoyed every sentence of this post, haha. and would have reacted the same way.
ReplyDelete