The Brookshire's

The Brookshire's

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

You shoulda seen it in color







Doesn't a little bit of color make all the difference? I'm writing today about Damion. I just love him. Last night I was a little mean to him so I'm gonna blog about it - in sort of an apologetic way - although we all know he will never read this, it will make me feel better.
okay so yesterday, I worked 9 hours, then went to the gym for 45 minutes then came home. I was tired, I was hot and sweaty and I had no clue what we were gonna have for dinner. Damion tends to call me before lunch daily to ask what is for dinner. Really? I have no idea. It is very rare that I will actually plan something for dinner. Why? Because most of the time 1 of 2 things happens - 1. He doesn't ever get home in time to eat dinner and then whatever I have fixed is nasty and cold or 2. He's had a big/late lunch and his stomach hurts or he's not hungry. In all reality, Damion is perfectly content with a turkey, provolone and mayo sandwich - or scrambled egg and cheese with mayo(toasted bread)he's not real picky. So last night Madison wanted shrimp scampi and pasta and EL wanted tuna. I was too hot to eat and wasn't gonna have time to eat because I had 4 reports to type. 4! I go all summer without having any and then all of a sudden I have 4 in one night! Depending on which doctor the report is for makes all the difference in the world - these were all long ones. okay so I also had a load of laundry on the table that needed to be folded, a load in the dryer that needed to come out and a load in the washer that needed to be put in the dryer. I also had a full dishwasher of clean dishes that needed to be put away and let's not forget the sweaty body that needed to be showered. Well, when Damion got home he went right to his spot - his side of the bed in front of the nicest tv in the house. I get that he's tired, he's worked all day, he's mentally drained blah blah blah. I may sound like I have no respect for him but I do, I REALLY do. I know how tired he is. I want him to sit and veg out but last night, I wanted him to fix his own dinner and fold some clothes. It didn't happen. It turns out that Madison didn't eat all the shrimp pasta I made so he had the rest of it and some cereal. You're curious as to what I had for dinner? Oh, I forgot to eat. See, by the time I finished my reports (and I only got 3 done) it was 10 o'clock and I still hadn't had a shower. Needless to say, I left all those clothes on the table and jumped in the bathtub. Emma-Leigh had fallen asleep in my bed and when I came to bed Damion rolled over and opened his eyes. I asked him if he would carry EL to her room and he just got up and went to sleep in her bed. So I was a little peeved at him. But I'm over it now and I love him more today than yesterday (well definitly more than last night haha).

6 comments:

  1. I truly understand your frustration in more ways than one. This is my life every night. Up before everyone in the mornings, rush to work, rush to pick up the kid, to gym, than up until after 10 getting everything ready for the next day. I would just like to be more appreciated! I say we go on a strike :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea April! I think they probably are more tired than us. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm exhausted! But it is a different kind of work for us than them. I do hate being the last one to bed and the first one up though. He is still in bed when we leave and that is hard on the girls too. We need a spa day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I swear I'm not trying to brag here..because this usually only happens when I ask...BUT, last night, I too had all of those things to do. Full dishwasher needing to be emptied with dishes in the sink, laundry needing to be changed out and a sweaty body (that went to bed sweaty too, oh well!) However, last night...sit down...Gabe took it upon himself to unload the dishwasher, fill it back up,entertain Garrett while I made dinner and he cleaned up after dinner! I actually had time to bake chicken for tonights dinner...it was so nice.
    Generally however, I'm with you on the strike (and I will always vote for a spa day)and last night when he walked in the door and immediately took a phone call for 20 minutes I thought that was the kind of night we were going to have..sometimes they take a turn for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Kim, it's easy. I just take a look back at what all I could have lost and count my blessings that he wants me around. I feel like the lucky one. Wow Andrea ~ that is great! Maybe there is hope for me after all! haha. . The funny thing is, he knew I was upset - so he called me and we met for lunch. Even though the words "I'm sorry" will never leave his lips, he knows I was sad. I did ask him to fold the towels tonight when he gets home. He still said no. LoL. Oh well it was worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all working moms struggle with this, please know you are not alone. AND speak up! Talk to him, in a normal tone, tell him you would appreciate his help, start with once a week, one thing, and then work your way up to him helping with more things. Todd (although he helps a lot) sometimes has to be reminded, they don't have the same mindset we do. They don't really notice if the dishes aren't put away right away or the clothes are clean/kept up with daily. You're good to forgive and let go, but talk to him before it eats you alive!

    ReplyDelete